Thursday 18 July 2013

Mike on Vike


Just when I was suspecting that I was running short on material to post about IWWB, another pearl appears on the IWWB hacksite website.

It appears Mike has had an email about some on-line critique courtesy of myself, and is being asked to "please explain." Here is the email in edited form, found here
Hello and greetings to Mike Vinson, 
In doing some searches for some videos of your teaching online, I have come across youtube material that is highly critical of you. What is the background here? Have you just offended someone, or is the person taking you out of context? It is hard to tell. 
Hi S____,
Thank you for your very straight-forward questions. I really do appreciate anyone who goes to the person himself instead of going to that person's detractors without even getting the perspective of the person who is 'hated of all men' to see why that is so. 
Mat 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
Mar 13:13 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.  
Luk 21:17 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.
In gratitude of your direct and honest questions I will give you direct and honest answers.
You'll note that Mike doesn't even bother to address any of the spurious things he has said, nor any of the content that is freely available on-line. Yet again, wants to wave the "hated of all men" flag and play the victim. Mike also says this: 
I do not worry about my detractors deterring anyone who God is in the process of dragging to himself. It really is not hard to tell when a person is speaking from a spirit of bitterness. 
Mat 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.  
Luk 6:22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. 
Lord help us, he says it again - waving the "hated of all men" flag front and centre. I have stated many times previous that Mike's "go-to-line" for resolving a difference of opinion is to quote this scripture, and also his other favourite, Titus 3:10 - "a man that is a heretick, after the first and second admonition reject..."

From this vantage point, Vinson feels that he is totally in the clear and without any moral or spiritual obligation to explain or to resolve anything with anyone. Vinson totally ignores other scriptures that tell him to love his enemy, or to do good to all men, because in his mind, these hated of all men verses trump pretty much everything else. It's scriptural chess, with Vinsons' pet favourites having more fire-power and clout than others that may contradict his position. 

You will also note Vinson plays the "bitterness" card. That has got to be the oldest and the weakest trick in the book. By claiming the opposing party is a bitter and angry spite-filled person, Vinson feels that he can simply brush off all of the critique he has received in one fell swoop. Vinson would not have the foggiest about my emotions because he has never once spoken to me about how I feel since I left the fellowship. 

Others could easily conclude that Vinson is bitter due to his non-adherence to orthodox doctrines. Of course that wouldn't wash with Vinson but it seems, he is willing to stoop to this in order to save his on-line reputation with potential would-be acolytes. 
Anyone in whom the spirit of Christ dwells will immediately perceive the bitterness that is in all the 'youtube' items by an ex-brother who no longer even believes that Jesus Christ ever existed. 
The writings about me by all those associated with that very bitter man are indeed "taken out of context" and are twisted and distorted for the sole purpose of keeping anyone from hearing what we write. This persecution is a work of God through the agency of Satan, as Job chapters one and two demonstrate. 
This ex-brother, and all who have aligned themselves with him and his anti-Biblical philosophy, honestly believe that the scriptures are nothing more than the fallible writings of men and should never be considered to be the Word of God. 
Vinson plays the bitterness card yet again. I am wondering why he simply doesn't present his case and make a coherent argument? I think we all know the answer to that. When one is a cult leader, one doesn't admit that one is wrong. At least not publicly! 

He also states I have taken him "out of context." While a 40 second video or even a 2 minute one cannot provide ALL possible context, I feel I have provided enough within each to put the spotlight onto what Vinson says. The fact is, Mike Vinson says so many things within the context of a bible study, it is difficult to keep up with all of the fallacies and one-liners that present themselves. I simply have to hone in and focus on one at a time in order to present to the listener the case that Vinson is not all that he says he is, or that he has contradicted a previous position. 

The last paragraph I have no qualms with although I certainly would not call myself "anti-Biblical." This is just more over-stated rhetoric that is designed to prejudice his potential disciple. 

The bible is an amazing book that has helped me through many phases of my life. I simply no longer believe it is the inerrant and inspired work of a divine creator. Does that make me "anti-Biblical?" I think not. Just because I don't believe the bible is without human error or influence or internal contradiction does not make me "anti-Biblical." It just means I have done my homework and I have come to understand this amazing book in a new light. In truth, it has given me a new appreciation for this book. 

Vinson throws out a few more one-liners in his email, including this:
We know and understand the book of Revelation
There you have it. Another assertion. I guess it must be true? Would Mike Vinson lie to you?

Lastly, Vinson ends with this:
I have been getting many letters just like yours about our detractors. The vast majority see through the spirit of that group and are just curious as you are.
What group? Now I am running a group as well? An anti-biblical group I suppose? 
In closing, I want to assure anyone that I do not hate Mike Vinson, nor am I bitter towards him. My experiences with him actually served to be of great benefit to me. However, I do honestly believe his group has evolved into a cult and as such, making others aware of this and getting the word out about the groups practices, its teachings and how people are treated within this fellowship is of importance. 

I would gladly speak with Mike Vinson at any-time of his choosing. He has my email, and my Skype, so he is more than welcome to write to me whenever he wishes to. I would even welcome Mike Vinson to debate me publicly, if he wanted to. If he is in the area, he is more than welcome to pop in for a coffee or to stay for dinner. 

As I have stated many times, Mike ceased to communicate with me, not the other way around. I reached out to him again and again for months, even years after the fact but he would have none of it. His mind was made up and in his own distorted world-view, he was apparently being hated of all men and being persecuted for his stance. He wants others to think I hate his guts but this just isn't true. I may mock the man's beliefs and be jovial and smart-ass in my delivery at times but I harbour no evil intentions or bitterness towards anybody in IWWB, including cult-leader Mike Vinson. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment